Public Service Announcement
Watertown Sanitation Department
Recycle Update & Bathroom Recycling Items
The week of Monday, August 10, 2015 Recycle Route B is collected. Recycle Route B is south of 3rd Ave N. For Single Stream recycling co-mingle all recycle materials in the tan container for collection every other week. If you need a second recycling container, please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order a recycle container. The City of Watertown will deliver an additional Tan 95 gallon Single Stream recycling container at no charge.
Please place your collection containers out the night before your collection day to avoid missing the truck. Collection routes begin at 5:00 AM, and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area of town. Trucks are not rerouted to pick up containers that are put out late. Please do not set out your recycle container until it is full. All containers placed on the parkway or boulevard on the day of collection shall be removed on the same day following collection.
Remember-Never include glass in the recycle container. Glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sort line.
REMOVE & DISCARD ALL LIDS. Plastic bottles with lids attached do not collapse and take up extra volume in the recycling. All the lids must be manually removed at the recycle facility which is not cost effective.
Here are facts about Bathroom Recycling based on Johnson & Johnson data:
• 69% of people nationwide claim that they recycle regularly.
• However only 20% of those people recycle items found in the bathroom.
• In fact 22% of people who regularly recycle never even thought about the items that can be recycled in the bathroom.
• Paper towel tubes, toilet paper tubes, tissue boxes without plastic, and chipboard toothpaste boxes ARE recyclable. Place in the Tan container.
• It is estimated that 552 million shampoo bottles are thrown away each year. This represents 18,000 tons of plastic that ends up in landfills.
• Plastic shampoo bottles, mouthwash bottles, and empty pill and vitamin bottles, ARE recyclable. Place them in your Tan container.
• Shaving cream cans ARE recyclable when completely empty. Place in them in your Tan container.
Thanks for your interest in and awesome support of the single stream curbside recycle program! Please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order a recycle container.