Public Service Announcement
Watertown Sanitation Department
Recycle Update & Paper Recycling
The week of Monday, December 22, 2014 Recycle Route A is collected. Recycle Route A is north of 3rd Ave N and all of Lake Kampeska and Derby Downs. Due to the Christmas Holiday, the Thursday, December 25th route will be collected on Wednesday, December 24th. For Single Stream recycling co-mingle all recycle materials in the tan container for collection every other week. To order a recycling container, please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order one. The City of Watertown will deliver an additional Tan 95 gallon Single Stream recycling container at no charge.
Please place your collection containers out the night before your collection day to avoid missing the truck. Collection routes begin at 5:00 AM, and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area of town. Trucks are not rerouted to pick up containers that are put out late. Please do not set out your recycle container until it is full. All containers placed on the parkway or boulevard on the day of collection shall be removed on the same day following collection.
Remember-Never include glass in the recycle container. Glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sort line.
REMOVE & DISCARD ALL LIDS. Plastic bottles with lids attached do not collapse and take up extra volume in the recycling. All the lids must be manually removed at the recycle facility which is not cost effective.
Here are some interesting facts about PAPER recycling:
• Paper accounts for more than 1/3 of all recycling in the United States.
• Paper was first recycled in the year 1800.
• Paper can be recycled 5 to 7 times before it is no longer recyclable.
• A paper’s fiber strength is derived from its length; therefore, avoid shredding paper that will be placed in your Tan 95 gallon container.
• In 1973, there were less than 50 municipal curbside recycling programs in the United States.
• Today, Watertown is one of over 8,000 municipal curbside recycling programs in the United States.
• Chipboard represents the largest market for recycled paper in the United States.
Thanks for your interest in and awesome support of the single stream curbside recycle program! Please place your cursor over Government in the upper left hand corner of this website, then place your cursor over Departments, then Regional Landfill, and finally click on Request A Container to order a recycle container.