Public Service Announcement
Watertown Sanitation Department
Recycle Update & Aluminum
The week of Monday, December 28, 2020 Recycle Route A is collected. Recycle Route A is north of 3rd Ave N and all of Lake Kampeska and Derby Downs. For Single Stream recycling co-mingle all recycle materials in the tan container for collection every other week. If you need a second recycling container, please go to our website to request one. The City of Watertown will deliver an additional Tan 95 gallon Single Stream recycling container at no charge.
Please place your collection containers out the night before your collection day to avoid missing the truck. Collection routes begin at 5:00 AM, and there is no set time when they will cover a certain area of town. Trucks are not rerouted to pick up containers that are put out late. Please do not set out your recycle container until it is full. All containers placed on the parkway or boulevard on the day of collection shall be removed on the same day following collection.
Remember-Never include glass in the recycle container. Glass is not recycled and causes injuries on the sort line.
REMOVE & DISCARD ALL LIDS. All the lids must be manually removed at the recycle facility which is not cost effective.
Here are some interesting facts about ALUMINUM and METAL recycling:
- 105,784 aluminum cans are recycled every minute in the United States. That makes 55 billion cans per year recycled!
- Aluminum cans are collected, shredded, melted, and flattened into sheets. The sheets are coiled, cut, and shaped into cans. The whole process may take as little as 60 days from your recycling collection.
- Aluminum is the most abundant metal in earth’s crust, however many other metals are much easier to process. Aluminum from recycled containers takes 95% less energy to produce than mining and processing aluminum ore.
- To reduce contaminants, odors, and to keep pests away, rinse your metal and aluminum cans before putting in your recycling container.
- Aluminum can be recycled over and over. In fact, 67% of all aluminum ever produced is still in use today.
- The car you currently own is most likely made from metals used in earlier model cars due to recycling.
- Recycling aluminum and metal saves landfill space!
Thanks for your interest in and awesome support of the single stream curbside recycle program! Please visit the Watertown website www.watertownsd.us for further information or to request a recycle container.