News Flash Home
The original item was published from 6/12/2014 9:18:25 PM to 7/13/2014 12:10:00 AM.

News Flash

Fire Department

Posted on: June 12, 2014

[ARCHIVED] Porch fire caused by cigarette container

320 S. Maple

Watertown Fire Rescue responded to a porch fire at 320 S. Maple when neighbors noticed the porch and siding of the house on fire. Bystanders used a garden hose to knock down the flames. Upon WFR arrival the deck and siding received significant fire damage. Overhaul was immediately started and a crew made entry into the house to check for extension of the fire into the basement or attic. No extension was found but the house did have light smoke damage. The house was cleared using a positive pressure fan and all burnt materials were removed from the outside of the house. The owner was not home at the time of the fire. It was discovered that the fire was caused by a cigarette butt pale that caught fire. WFR strongly suggests that smokers and management of multi-family homes and businesses invest in containers that are designed for disposal of cigarettes. All smoking cans should be at least 3 feet away from any structure and proper maintenance and disposal of the discarded butts should be done frequently. Lt. Kruse

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Fire Department


WFR Responds to a gas leak

Posted on: November 26, 2023

WFR Responds to Vehicle Fire

Posted on: November 19, 2023
dodge ram fire

WFR Responds to Pickup Fire

Posted on: November 11, 2023
cornstalk fire

WFR Responds to Cornstalk Fire

Posted on: November 11, 2023

WFR Responds to One Vehicle Rollover

Posted on: November 6, 2023

WFR Responds to Vehicle Fire

Posted on: November 5, 2023

Car Versus Deer Causes Second Accident

Posted on: November 2, 2023

WFR Responds to Vehicle Fire

Posted on: September 2, 2022