Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Watertown Fire Rescue crews were called to a house fire at 44273 172nd Street on 10/6/18 at approx 10 pm. The caller stated that there was a fire in the basement that they tried to extinguish but couldn't. Henry Fire Department was also dispatched as mutual aide for this call. Upon arrival crews found white pressurized smoke coming from the exterior of the structure around the chimney area. In the basement crews found smoldering fire around the area were the floor and the wood burning stove pipe meet. That smoldering fire was extinguished by Henry firefighters. Watertown Fire Rescue crews used a thermal imaging camera to located additional fire in the walls around the chimney pipe both on the first and second stories of the home. The Sheetrock and lathe and plaster were removed and the smoldering fire was extinguished in the walls as well. Both WFR and Henry FD crews did some overhaul both inside and outside the structure to insure that all the fire was out. Crews also extinguished the contents of the wood burning stove to insure the exhaust pipes sufficiently cooled. WFR and Henry FD remained on scene for approximately 2 hours. WFR and HFD crews were assisted by Codington County Sheriffs Office, and Codington Clark Electric.