Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Crews respond to a residential fire Saturday afternoon around 3:30 pm. Fire was noticed when the homes occupant woke from a nap to the smell of smoke in the house. The resident opened his front door to find a plastic cigarette butt container on fire and called 911. The fire was quickly doused but had extended through the siding into wall before crews arrived. Fire crews checked for extension and ventilated the basement and the main floor of the home.
Cigarette fires cause close to 1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths, cigarettes are the nations largest single cause of such deaths.
A National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommended educational messages to reduce smoking fires: