A PUD is a type of development approved through a special process designed to allow flexibility in the zoning process to encourage innovative land use and development. It may include varied and compatible land uses, such as housing, recreation and commercial centers within one defined development or subdivision. The basic requirements for a PUD are established in the zoning ordinance. The process involves a concept plan, a preliminary plan and a zoning map amendment (rezoning).
Planned Unit Development encourages:
- a mix of land uses and dwelling types, generally with at least one non-residential land use;
- the clustering of residential land uses providing public and common open space;
- quality site planning and design;
- implementation of the community comprehensive plan or vision;
- aesthetically pleasing environments through architecture and landscape improvements; and
- preservation of natural areas.
Documents related to PUD approval