- Public Works
- Street Maintenance Division
Street Maintenance Division
Downtown Business District Sweeping - Save the Dates
Posted on May 16, 2023Weather permitting, on Thursday morning, May 18th, 2023 from 3 AM to 7 AM, Read on...
2023 Street Sweeping Schedule
Posted on May 11, 2023
The Street Maintenance Division strives to maximize the life of the Watertown’s transportation facilities and to provide a high quality driving surface on approximately 220 miles of city streets through a comprehensive maintenance, repair, and sweeping program including timely and efficient snow removal, street de-icing, and sanding operations. The maintenance program consists of scheduled annual asphalt overlays, crack sealing on approximately 60 blocks per year, and seal coating of about 280 blocks per year.
If you have questions regarding Street Maintenance Division activities, or need to report an issue, please reference the Street Maintenance Division phone list.
The Street Maintenance Division shares the responsibility of maintaining Watertown's storm water management systems by mowing detention ponds, cleaning trash screens on storm sewer inlets, and clearing and regrading overland flow paths. The Street Maintenance Division is largely responsible for the annual spring city-wide cleanup week held in May. The department also assists in the construction of numerous park and recreation amenities.
National Public Works Week
Sunday, May 21, 2023 - Saturday, May 27, 2023
More information about the national celebration can be found here.
To view the City of Watertown Public Works Week flyer, please click here.
National Public Works Week Coloring Contest
Congratulations! Matonta, Greta, and Gwendolyn are the three winners for the National Public Works Week coloring contest. view their winning submissions below. Thank you to everyone who sent in a coloring sheet! We had over 20 submissions across all age categories. Happy National Public Works Week!
Kickoff Event: Touch A Truck
Thank you to everyone who joined us for the kickoff event, touch A Truck, on Saturday, May 20 at the Watertown Regional Airport from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. To visit the Facebook event please click here.
Find a full list of events for the week above in the photo and on our Facebook page. There you will find posts and separate Facebook events. Each weekday there will be a new division highlighted through special events and education social media posts. Stay informed about events and the work we do by following the City of Watertown Public Works Department on Facebook.
Follow us on Facebook!
- Street Repair Rates & Guidelines
- Equipment & Personnel Rates
- Supplied Material Rates
- Snow Removal
- Blading and graveling of gravel surfaces and township obligations every four to six weeks
- Spraying and mowing right of way
- Milling and paving, control of same
- Repair of equipment
- Current recall list
- Apply sanding mixture
- Sweeping all streets and avenues every three to four weeks
- Spring run-off control
- Traffic control devices and signs
- Traffic striping and markings @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Material specification for city
- Extensive patching of city streets
- Snow removal and snow removal from downtown
- Mix salt and sand
- Safety programs: public, employee, and workers
- Specification for new equipment
- Drainage system cleaning and mowing
- Paving 50 to 60 blocks per year
- Seal coating 160 blocks per year
- Snow fencing: 10th Avenue North, Third Avenue North, Cutts Avenue, City Park, North Ridge, and 10th Avenue North gardens @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- All excavations require a permit from the Engineering Dept. at 23 2nd St NE, 605-882-6202. Also, contact the Street Department to inform them of the excavation, 605-882-6207. Failure to obtain an excavation permit is punishable by up to a $200 fine.
- Maximum repair area by city forces will be 100 sq. ft. or less (unless preauthorized by the Street Superintendent).
- Repairs larger than 100 sq. ft. (unless preauthorized by the Street Superintendent) must be repaired by an asphalt contractor approved by the Street Superintendent
- Asphalt depth is to be 4” minimum. Roads that are thicker will be matched to the nearest inch, up to 6”.
- The city will not patch any trenches after October 25th. of each year. The contractor may hire an approved asphalt company to do permanent repairs or they will be required to place a temporary concrete patch, cold mix asphalt patch, or maintain the trench daily until it’s able to be repaired properly in the spring of the year. The Street Superintendent will determine the minimum temporary repair necessary to create a safe driving surface.
- The contractor is required to place a minimum of 12” of base course. This is to be measured from the bottom of the existing asphalt. Base course must meet city specifications. 95% minimum compaction is required. The Watertown Engineering Department will do occasional density tests of contractor installed base course. If the trench is not able to be patched with asphalt immediately, the contractor must fill the trench completely to the top with gravel to create a temporary driving surface. The contractor will be responsible for costs incurred for repairs of future trench settling. In occasional situations, city forces will install base course at the rates listed below.
(Includes mobilization of equipment, labor, cutting, compacting, tack oil, & asphalt material)
|4” Thick Asphalt||$10.74 per Sq. Ft.|
|5” Thick Asphalt||$11.24 per Sq. Ft.|
|6” Thick Asphalt||$11.74 per Sq. Ft.|
|12" Thick Base Course||7.11 per Sq. Ft.|
2022 CITY EQUIPMENT/PERSONNEL RENTAL RATES
Tandem Dump Truck
Single Axle Dump Truck
Tractor With Double Batwing
Tractor With Single Batwing
Zero Turn Mower
Worker With Small Tools
Single Axle Dump Truck With Plow & Sander
ATV with Sprayer
Tractor with Cone Spreader
Snow Blower with Loader
Tractor with Box Scraper
Skidsteer With Snow Blower
Skidsteer With Planer
Skidsteer With Pickup Broom
Pickup With Plow
*Per hour rate includes operator
**One hour minimum charge. After 1 hour, charged to the nearest quarter hour
2022 City Supplied Material Rates
$20.00 per ton
$135.00 per ton
Sand / 20% Salt Mix
$44 per ton
$0.23 per gallon
$25.00 per 50 lb. bag
$20.00 per 25 lb. bag
Weed Control Chemical (24-D, Mixed)
$20.00 per gallon
Weed Control Chemical (Round Up, Mixed)
$20.00 per gallon
$20.00 per ton
Snow & Ice Data Summaries
Contact The Street maintenance division
Hours of Operation
7:00am - 5:30pm